Turmeric: Turmeric’s star status is rooted in curcumin, an active molecule that has anti-inflammatory properties and anti-cancer potential. It’s effect in laboratory animals has been well established by the observation that administrating this molecule to mice prevents the occurrence of tumors caused by various carcinogens. It’s important to note that the maximum benefits of turmeric rests on its association with piperine, a molecule found in pepper. Greater absorption has also been observed in the presence of ginger and cumin.
Broccoli: Cruciferous vegetables (including cabbage, broccoli and radish) are one of the most studied vegetable families and the topic of more than 20,000 scientific articles in past decades. They are the only plant foods that contain significant quantities of glucosinolates, phytochemical compounds activated by chewing. According to recent studies, regular consumption of vegetables from this family could reduce the risk of colorectal cancer by 30%.
Super Charged Broccoli and Apple Salad
Author: Geremy Capone, Wellness Chef, ELLICSR Kitchen
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 1/4 cup dates chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, slivered or roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. To make the couscous, in a small bowl, cover couscous with ½ cup of hot water or stock. Place a towel or plastic wrap over top to trap the stem. In 5 minutes, you can fluff with a fork.
3. For the dressing, combine your olive oil, orange juice, zest, garlic, and turmeric. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Dress your broccoli in the half the dressing, reserve the remaining. Toss in the almonds and dates.
5. On a baking sheet lined with parchment, evenly spread out your cooked couscous. Cover with your dressed broccoli. And bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the broccoli starts to brown.
6. Dress the sliced apples with the remaining dressing and top over the roasted broccoli.