Tofu: Tofu is made from the milky liquid from soy beans. The main phytochemical compounds found in soy are a group of polyphenols called isoavones that play an important role in cancer prevention, especially prostate and breast cancers.Protein from soy is the only protein of plant origin that contains all the essential amino acids. Incorporating legumes like soy beans and tofu to your diet can also help reduce your consumption of red meat and processed meat and increase you bre intake, both of which are key to reducing the risk of developing cancer.
Crispy Tofu Italian Fritters
Author: Food Innovation & Research Studio (FIRSt), George Brown College, Toronto
- 350g Extra firm tofu, cubed (see Chef’s Tip)
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled
- ½ cup old cheddar cheese, grated
- ¾ cup Breadcrumbs, divided
- 2 each Roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and skin removed
- 4 tsp. Dried oregano
- 4 tsp. Dried basil
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. (2.5 mL) Black pepper
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350°F (200°C) and line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the tofu, garlic, cheese, ½ cup of the breadcrumbs, roasted red peppers, 3 tsp. oregano, 3 tsp. basil, salt, and pepper into the food processor. Pulse to combine. Transfer mixture into a bowl.
- Place the remaining breadcrumbs, oregano, and basil onto a plate, along with the parmesan cheese. Mix to combine. Using a tablespoon, form the tofu mixture into 1-inch balls then roll in the breadcrumbs and cheese mixture. Place onto the prepared baking tray. Continue shaping and rolling until all the tofu mixture is used, approximately 28 balls.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let the fritters cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Make sure to purchase extra firm tofu and not medium or soft tofu!To roast your own bell peppers, preheat the oven to 400F. Brush a baking sheet lightly with olive oil. Lay peppers on their sides, stems pointing sideways. Roast for 20 minutes, then using a pair of tongs, give the peppers a half turn then roast for another 20 minutes. Once the peppers are soft and charred, place them into a bowl and cover the bowl with a plate. Let the peppers steam for 15 minutes. Finally, peel the skin off the peppers and use as per recipe’s directions.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to form the meatballs into 1-inch balls.
- You can serve these fritters with a garden salad or on a bed of pasta and your favourite sauce. These would also be great served as an appetizer with a garlic or Sriracha mayonnaise dipping sauce.