Eggs: Eggs are an excellent source of protein and vitamin B12and can be a good substitute for red meat, which should be consumed in moderation. The vitamin D and carotenoids (lutein, zeaxanthin) found in eggs are also of benet to your body cells, in part, due to their antioxidant properties. According to the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF), reducing consumption of red meat (500g/week) and limiting consumption of processed meats as much as possible, can help reduce the risk of developing colorectal cancer.
Tomato: Tomatoes contain lycopene, a compound that is responsible for the res colour but which also has properties that help reduce the risk of cancer, especially prostate cancer. It has been shown that cooking maximizes the anticancer potential of tomatoes.
Frittata with Artichokes, Tomatoes, Feta Cheese and Rosemary
Author: George Brown College Culinary Program
- 1 ⅔ cup artichoke heart, drained and diced into 1 cm cubes
- 5 Large eggs
- 2 Plum tomatoes, diced and seeds removed
- ½ each Orange bell pepper, small dice
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsps. Olive oil
- ½ tsp. Rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Parsley, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Pepper
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Add rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp. oil, ⅘ of the diced tomatoes, and the artichokes. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes to drain out the excess moisture.
- Once the tomatoes and artichokes are lightly fried, remove them from the pan.
- Return the pan over medium heat, add remaining 1 tbsp. oil and the egg mixture to the pan and mix with a spatula. Keep on mixing, moving spatula from the side to the middle of the pan for about 1 minute. Then add ⅔ of feta cheese, chopped pepper and the fried veggies into the pan. Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to broil setting.
- Remove the lid, and sprinkle on top the rest of the tomatoes and feta cheese, then place the pan into the oven and broil on high for 4-5 minutes or until golden.
- Add 1 tsp. of turmeric to the beaten eggs to brighten up the yolk.
- Add 1 tbsp. of dry basil to the tomatoes to highlight the tomato flavour.
- Instead of frying the frittatas, pour the mixture into the muffin cups and bake at 375°F in the oven for 10 minutes.